The Shotgun, also known as the Mossberg Persuader Shotgun or the Remington 870 pump action shotgun, is a powerful shotgun.
In Hitman: Codename 47, the shotgun fires a slug with some birdshot. It is an extremely powerful weapon, on par with the Franchi PA3. The shotgun has a magazine capacity of one, and it's reloaded by racking the pump.
In Hitman: Blood Money, the weapon is on par with the SP12 Shotgun in terms of power, though it cannot be upgraded. The lack of the silencer moditication that the SP12 can accommodate also makes the weapon a poor choice for stealth. Basically, it is mainly useful for a frontal assault, especially close engagements, due to the 8 shot capacity, but the reload speed is slower then the SP12 as well. This shotgun fires buckshot.
Hitman: Codename 47
The Mossberg Persuader Shotgun can commonly be bought before mission start. Otherwise, it appears in the following:
- Training: In the shooting range.
- Ambush at the Wang Fou Restaurant: On some Red Dragon triad members.
- Traditions of the Trade: Inside flower box from the florist.
- The Setup: Inside a locker on the roof and on the third floor.
- Meet Your Brother: Inside locker.
Hitman: Blood Money
- Death of a Showman: Outside the room with the money-counting gangsters.
- A Vintage Year: Used by all ordinary guards, inside some guard quarters and weapon caches.
- Death on the Mississippi: Carried by Adam Hendrikson.
- Till Death Do Us Part: On some gang members, used by and alligator hunters on the pier.
- The shotgun in Hitman: Codename 47 is the game's most accurate weapon, hitting dead center in the crosshair.
- Hitman 2: Silent Assassin has some audio files for the Mossberg Persuader shotgun, which are found in the streams.wav file.
- The shotgun as it appears in Hitman: Blood Money is based on the Remington Model 870 shotgun, but the model that has been seen in previews of Hitman: Absolution is based on the Mossberg 500, the in-game version is based on Mossberg 590.
- If you look closely at Hitman: Blood Money's shotgun model, it has the words "slug gun" etched on the receiver. In real life a slug gun is a shotgun with a rifled barrel for firing slugs, as the rifling causes the shot to fly in a more stable trejectory. Because of this most dedicated slug guns are used only for hunting with slug rounds. The Slug round in real life however, does not form any spread pattern, due to the slug round is a single projectile that intended for larger game, thus the shells the Shotgun uses in game are more likely Buckshot.
- This weapon has a larger spread than SP12 in Blood Money, and sometimes will fatally wound your opponent if the pellets are not totally connected.